Wednesday, November 27, 2019

A Poem From My Heart

My sisters and brother.  (I'm a lot older now)
 A Poem From My Heart

Witty thoughts are wasted when I'm alone,
these days sisters and brothers far flung;
jobs, college, marriage.  I'm home alone

where middle school math provides scant revelry
and Mom has confiscated my cell phone,
says "You've been on too long"...

but I've no one to hang with.
Holidays I hear siblings retell stories
of escapades and experiences shared,

feel left out, long to have been a part.
Can't help feel sad, wish I had younger siblings.
I'm happiest when our whole family is together.

Often tear up, like I'm doing now;
think of how much I miss them. Being the youngest
often feels like being an only child.

My brother and sisters say they LONGED
for peace and quiet.  I long for their voices, their laughter,
just them.  Being a tribe, being... a family squished together.

Spencer Bednar, November 27, 2019

shared with the challenge from "Poets United - Midweek Motif - Longing"

My crazy, fun family - love when we are all together
Thanksgiving brought one sister home (two still live here but are gone a lot).  This Christmas most of us will be together - except my oldest brother and his wife.  They are in San Francisco - my brother is an actor in "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child".   He shows up on this video at #48...  I can't wait to go to SF and see him in this show!


10 comments:

  1. Oh what a wonderful family you have - lovely to see siblings who love and miss each other. Smiles. Hope they all come home for Christmas! I remember when my youngest was the last one left at home. She found it lonely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best use of the word "squished" that I have ever seen. You make a great case for bringing the family together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The 'longing' in the same family differs! But that's natural. You are really blessed to have such a wonderful family. I have to agree with Susan about the use of the word "squished". A delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind luv...if they leave you at home alone (like in the movie), sell the family silver and fly on down to Oz .I'll book you in to the Crocodile Dundee High School in the Northern Rivers. Rosemary is the poetry teacher there.Surfing and croc wrestling are compulsory subjects and you get to learn Strine as well.I enjoyed your poem.Hope you keep writing and visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I love the open and honest way you wrote about missing your siblings and how much you love ‘together time’ ... Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family and the dogs!
    ps: it is snowing out here in Oregon and really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's the same with most families. Those halcyon days seemed perfect, as we look back years later..life and the march of time do change situations and possibilities: but that deep down longing remains.
    Enjoy your time together..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, family gatherings are wonderful. Looking forward to catching up with my extended family this xmas. I enjoyed your nostalgic poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My siblings were/are much older than me, too, so I know exactly what you mean about feeling like an only child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See how different longings can be in the same family. Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone - Spencer was thrilled with all the comments.

    ReplyDelete