Friday, November 15, 2019

My Nerd


My Nerd

A pocket-sized dragon sits on my finger,
lime green eyes blink, her nose flares electric blue,
and I rub her forehead; tame the untamed.

She purrs and toots (who knew girls farted!),
cries out with a sound reminiscent
of a whale's song.  It touches my heart.

I'm smitten.  I wear t-shirts to school
with dinosaurs, dragons, and mythical creatures;
ignore the chuckles of "popular" girls.

Am guilty of drawing said creatures
during class; look out the window, imagine wonders,
envision creatures yet to be discovered.

I might be laughable to those girls,
but Sparky, whom I've smuggled to class,
makes me happy.

So, I embrace my nerd, for that's my cool.

by Spencer Bednar, November 15, 2019

A poem for my Mother on her birthday.  

7 comments:

  1. Spencer, you are just an awesome nerd, that's what I think. I snorted coffee through my nose at the girls farting line. Warn me before you do that! LOL. And you know what? Those popular girls are just as insecure as anybody else--being popular is their cover. And your dragon is quite a fellow. I have stuff all over my (huge) desk, but nothing quite so cool as Sparky,though I do have a crash test dummy. Keep doing what make you happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spencervdays “Thank you for being my first real fan” (outside of family he means!)

      Delete
    2. should read “Spencer says “

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I would like to meet your Sparky. She sounds like my kind of gal! I agree with Ms. Fireblossom .... one day you will know 'mean girls' sometimes don't have happy lives and hopefully realize the error of their ways ... and CHANGE. Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spencer says “Thank you” He told me today “Thanks for helping me write what’s in my heart”. Made me feel like a million bucks.

      Delete
  3. I love this so much. You go ahead and be a nerd; that's my grandson's super power, too!

    ReplyDelete