Monday, November 11, 2019

Buffalo Cove Field Trip


Buffalo Cove Field Trip

Twelve sixth-graders, two goats, three dogs,
camp guide.  For three days we ruled the wilderness.
Well, not exactly, but we survived.

Buffalo never roamed these mountains,
but surely bear, mountain lion, and fox;
we saw squirrels, birds and bugs...

and one lost bloodhound we named "Bob".
Our camp dogs ignored her; we were tired & hungry,
yet I wished I could have shared my food
when I saw her hiding in the brush.

The fresh air surprised me.  Deep breaths,
inhaled, swept energy through my veins.
Almost better than caffeine.  Almost.

No phones, no T.V.; we made rope.
Strips of bark, looped, twisted, overlapped.
I loved the repetition.

Stepped quietly, feet sideways, heel,
ball of foot, toes.  Learned to be silent,
melt into Mother Earth.

One for all, all for one.  We learned the hard way.
S'mores promised, but one boy kept talking.
Graham crackers, marshmallows, Hershey's. Gone.

Camp guide about to dispense the secret,
"How to keep warm."  Talking boy kept talking.
We woke up shivering. The next night,
we were overjoyed to discover "Quiet boy".

Happy to return home, yet sad to leave.
Mom and Dad groaned when I confessed
"My teeth were taking a sabbatical",
toothbrush found, unused.

by Spencer Bednar, November 11, 2019


5 comments:

  1. You rebel you.

    Laffin @ talky boy becoming quiet boy, to the joy of all.

    Your blog is now on the sidebar list at my blog. If that's not ok let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so thrilled (and you made me tear up). It has been a rough year -6th grade and dyslexia and dysgraphia - we changed schools to better suit him - a charter school that has 12 kids in 6th grade - hands on science (not just lists and lists) and he goes outside every day for an hour... he is so happy and we have time after school for tutoring. Poetry (I believe) helps him with writing as it is interesting and nurtures the creative side of him - plus he gets $10 a poem!

      Delete
    2. I am so glad to hear that the new school is working out. And ten dollars per poem! Woohoo!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! You definitely have a way with words ~~ and tell an intriguing story! Looking forward to reading more of your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem! Love hearing about the camping trip from your point of view Spencer. Poetry lets us get a glimpse into how you see the world, and I love the way you see the world. Also.... brush your teeth!!!

    ReplyDelete